How to Master Paid Digital Media
This month, we thought we’d share our approach to paid digital media, and more specifically, an overview of our retargeting services. The beauty of paid digital media versus traditional media is that you can accomplish a highly successful campaign at a much lower cost, while measuring results more precisely. Read on for an overview of our strategy, and some case studies to illustrate its impact.
WHAT, EXACTLY, IS PAID MEDIA?
Within the world of paid digital media, Good & Gold focuses on the following:
- Paid Search
- Programmatic Display
- Placement Based Display
- Paid Social
- Shopping Campaigns
- Mobile App Install Campaigns
Each of these tactics requires a unique approach, but all share a common theme: set achievable goals, research your industry set, study your analytics, and adjust according to your results.
Retargeting ads are a form of digital advertising served in order to encourage users who meet a set of criteria (as designated by the advertiser) to return to a website. Generally, retargeting lists are based around web users who have visited a site but not converted, current customers who have not purchased in a certain amount of time, customers or leads in an e-mail database, or people who have viewed particular products.
There are two basic types of retargeting:
- Pixel-based retargeting is a way to display remarketing advertisements across the internet to any visitor based on their actions on your website.
- List-based retargeting is used when you already have someone's contact information in your database. (For example, you may have e-mail addresses you’ve acquired via a newsletter sign-up campaign.)
GOOD & GOLD’S RETARGETING STRATEGY
Our mission is to build timely, relevant, and tailored retargeting campaigns focused on the behavior, buying habits, and interests of website visitors. We know that it’s crucial to conduct diligent research and create clear goals before crafting a retargeting campaign, because industry benchmarks vary widely.
With retargeting campaigns, Good & Gold’s primary goal is to boost sales at a low Cost Per Acquisition (advertising dollars required for each sale) for our clients. In order to achieve the lowest Cost Per Acquisition possible, we carefully consider the following metrics:
- Cost Per Click: With CPC bidding, you pay for each click on your ad. It is easy to set your budget too high or too low—industry research is key.
- Click Through Rate: CTR expresses the clicks your ad receives divided by the number of times your ad is shown. A high CTR is a good indication that users find your ads helpful and relevant.
- Cost Per Impression: The cost paid each time an ad is displayed. CPM* (cost per 1,000 impressions) is the industry’s qualitative unit for measuring this. Here is a helpful tool for understanding your CPM. *the "M" is the Roman numeral for 1,000.
PAID DIGITAL MEDIA CASE STUDIES
Here are a few recent case studies from Good & Gold clients that illustrate the impacts of successful, integrated campaigns that include retargeting as well as search, display, and other channels: